Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Cheerful Steampunk? :)


I love this "Thingamajig"! LOL
This card was inspired by two things -- the Blog Challenge over at Scrolls Work Stamps and tonight's Technique of the Month Club... I'll be showing them a couple of different ways to use Alcohol Inks without doing the "smooshing thing" .... The background elements of this card were all done on Glossy Cardstock using Alcohol Inks: Here -- I'll share :)

First thing I did was drag a Felt Blending Tool with Aqua Alcohol Ink on it across a piece of glossy cardstock.

Next I cut a cloud shape out of felt and attached it to my blending tool and coloured it with Silver Mixative and a Little Blending Solution and "stamped" 3 clouds with it.

The "Flight of Frank" stamp (#9010) was stamped on the card with Jet Black Archival Ink and "Thingamajig" (#1301) was stamped randomly in Russet Archival Ink. I LOVE how you can stamp right over the silver mixative and it will look like the reverse!! So cool!!

A Grunge flower center that I had lying around was inked with Sunshine Yellow Alcohol Ink and then stamped in Russet with "Mesh" (#2547) to add some interest and dimension. I then attached 2 Ideaology Spinners to it with a Long Fastener and attached it to the card.

Now its time to colour with Alcohol Inks!!
Because the areas I wanted to colour were little, I didn't colour with my Blending Pen (I know ... shock) Instead I put a little dot of each colour I wanted to use on a felt square placed on my blending tool. I used Sunshine Yellow for Frank's jacket, Stonewash for Frank's pants and... if you look carefully... I also highlighted the clouds with a little bit of Stonewash too. What did I use to apply the ink? A Blending Nib!! Put the end of the nib on the ink dot and it absorbs enough to use as a tint. LOVE that discovery! Gotta play kids :) Gotta play! :)

Lovin' how this turned out!
This, as I said earlier, is one of the cards I will be showing the girls how to make tonight... it was inspired by another technique that I used for another card project that I will show you tomorrow.

All the Stamps and products used in this card are available at the studio (the paper is Graphic 45 On the Boardwalk) ..... just in case you'd like to try this for yourself!

Have a creative day!!!

2 comments:

Jacque Heaton said...

Wow! Awesome Job! I love how you put this all to gether with such bright colors. Thanks for playing!
Jacque

Heavens2Betsy said...

Hi Karin, I just hopped here from Scrolls Works who make some of my all time favourite stamps - especially the steampunk range. I love what you are doing here and this card is amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next... Penny.