Friday, June 11, 2010

A Little Character Study...

I was inspired by an article in the current issue of the "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" magazine. The featured artist loves FONTS and created a 6x6 canvas using her favourite fonts and text. I loved the idea and broke open a 1950's Saturday Evening Post I had kicking around (doesn't everyone have one of those? hehe) and started looking for words that jumped out at me.

I've been on a bit of a self discovery journey lately and the words that popped out, interesting enough, were: Good, Better, Best, out with the old, New and woman. See a pattern? *smile* I swear the words you need (and mean the most) jump right off the page!! Now I have a theme....

The letters in the center of the canvas are my favourite letters .. . for various reasons. The font? Fiesta from Quickutz. I adhered them with Matte Medium to my wood canvas and outlined with Charcoal Pencils and used a waterbrush to smudge a shaddow. LOVE that effect. From there just collaged some elements and even used some liquid beads from Golden for a little 3D effect. The Pen Nibs: a Tim Holtz stamp stamped with black pigment ink and embossed with Fine Black Embossing Powder.

I wish I had a better photo of this. You'll just have to come to the studio to check it out in person. Look for a NEW CHARACTER STUDY WORKSHOP in the studio! I'll be posting details this week. That way you can all come in and play with WORDS and explore your own creativity!

No comments: