Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Today's a very special day....

Balzer Designs Blog Hop

I'm honoured to be a part of Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's Stencil Hop 2011. If you are getting here from one of the other participant's blogs, WELCOME! If you are starting with me, here is the list of the other participating artists:
Super exciting, isn't it? *smile*

Over the course of the last few weeks, many fabulous artists have shared their art and their love of Julie's wonderful stencils produced by Crafter's Workshop.
Those of us "hopping" this week were asked to create something with the LEAF FRAME and FLOWER FRAME - two stencils in Julie's 2011 release (click here to view the other stencils created by her).
Here's what I created.
A Mixed Media Quilted Shrine -- A framed gift for my mother this Christmas. (sure hope she doesn't decide to check out my blog today *smile*)

This piece will be very special as it includes some very personal things with special meaning -- and the leaf frame offered the perfect motif to tie it all together. Can you see all the places I used it? The background fabric (sprayed with Denim Colorwash Spray) , on some Graphic 45 paper (also with the spray) to frame the dancer, and for the nest--this time I inked the pattern onto a scrap piece of muslin with Coffee Archival Ink, coloured it with Weathered Wood Distress Ink and then quilted it. Makes me smile

This is my first shrine -- I've seen so many fabulous ones in books and magazines over the years and always wanted to do one. I thought I'd do my first for my mother representing the two people she loved the most but who are no longer with us - my father and my grandmother.
Here's how it will be special for her: The dancer in the shrine is my grandmother. The picture was taken in 1920. I scanned it, printed it on TAP (Transfer Artist Paper), ironed it on a piece of linen (an old hanke found in my grandmother's sewing box) and quilted it before attaching to the paper background. The lace and tatted doilies in the piece are also from my Nana's stash. And yes, my mom will recognize it!
The blue material is from one of my dad's old denim shirts. (he passed in January and I swear it still smells like him. So loved using it here.) The Eagle also represents him -- he loved Eagles and the strength they represent and has been a reoccurring image in our family's life.

"When the music changes, so does the dance". This will be our first Christmas without my dad -- we will definitely be dancing differently.... but that's okay, we'll still be dancing together! I hope she likes it.... and that you do too!!

On a completely different note... I took this opportunity to make something for my daughter -- Yes, every teenager needs an "all knowing" picture of her fabulous mother beside her bed! LOL
I recently had some new "head shots" done and jokingly told "the kid" that I was going to frame one for her for Christmas. After she rolled her eyes, she said "Sure mom, just make it fancy." Well, won't she be surprised!

I loved using this template to make texture on this canvas. I pressed some Light Molding Paste through the Flower Frame template and then let it dry before painting it with fluid acrylics and some glitter and pearl pens.

DID YOU NOTICE THE LEAVES? Yes, I created those using the Leaf Frame template. Some leaves I inked (with Archival Ink) and some I painted onto Shrink Plastic, cut and heated until they shrunk to size -- LOVE that! I'll be doing it again soon -- There are so many leaf making possibilities!

THANK YOU, JULIE for having me participate in this hop celebrating your fabulous designs!

Have a creative day! Happy hopping and drop by again soon. xoxo

25 comments:

jenlynnie said...

i love them both!! and love your present for your daughter. lol thanks for the inspiration : )

slbt17 said...

you are going to touch at least 2 hearts with these special gifts - thank you for sharing.
Sandra ltb

Cheryl Leong said...

Wow!!! Great projects... By using the templates, it turns out extraordinary!!!! TFS

cheryl131091 at yahoo dot com

famillemarleau said...

I love your projects, they're beautiful. My favorite is the quilted one. I'm sure your mom will love it too. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

Tammy said...

BEAUTIFUL! Oh, my gosh! You are so talented and these projects look like so much fun!

Ashley Brown said...

Thank you so much for sharing such a special piece of art. They are both so beautiful.

Ann said...

Oh my goodness that is just too funny!! I could just see my daughters face if I did that to her. Your projects are wonderful!!

Kip said...

This brought a lump to my throat and I don't even know the people, lol. Fabulous job!!

Michelle Galloway said...

great looking pieces Karen, and I'm sure "the kid" will love it....

Lisa said...

I have never seen a quilted shrine! Yours is AMAZING! I love the bits of your dad and grandmother that you were able to incorporate into a lovely memory piece. Beautiful uses of Julie's stencils, too.

conil said...

Sooooo creative. Love your projects.

Art By Wanda said...

Fabulous projects!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt shrine is gorgeous! What a neat idea.

Anonymous said...

Love your use of the stencils Karen; your shrine brought a tear to my eye. Your Mom will love it I'm sure.

Tracey said...

WOW!!! AMAZING projects Karen...so heartfelt and personal...LOVE them and how you incorporated stencils....thanks for the inspiration!!!

Lillian said...

Beautiful work Karen
So many memories in there
Your mom will love that !!!
Im sure your daughter will like hers too....In time...LOL
Lillian
http://www.canadianscraptramp.blogspot.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixedmediaart/

MORMOR said...

This is the first time I have been to your blog and what a treat it was to visit. Your shrine is beautiful and I am certain you mother will love it.

Cheryl said...

Love your projects! Your daughter is going to love her framed photo!

Melissa Bi. said...

Beautiful! What wonderful gifts :)

Mom Cheryl said...

Great job! I love all of Julie's stencils. They look great and I can't wait to get some.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful Karen. Your Mom will treasure her special gift I am sure.
Would live to see your daughter's face when she opens her wonderful fancy frame of Mom. You are so talented and it looks like you had so much fun. Can't wait to try those stencils!
Pam H.

Trish said...

Wow Karen!!! Your work is outstanding!!! What creativity!

Teddi said...

oh my freaking amazing poetic justice in a glance!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

These are fabulous and I love the stenciled shrink plastic. Great idea.

milkcan said...

Above and beyond, Karen! Thank you so much for participating in the stencil hop!